Your Telehealth Visit
WHAT IS TELEHEALTH?
Telehealth refers to the practice of using telecommunications (iPhone, Computer, iPad) technology to evaluate, diagnose and care for you at a distance. There are lots of things that can be considered telehealth including monitoring and sharing your records over secure email connections, but what Dr. Howard is talking about is a visit that is done using video conferencing over the internet. He uses a platform called DOXYME. You may participate using a personal computer with a webcam or smart mobile device with a built-in video camera. You will receive a link for your visit. Please follow the link and make sure that you and your system are ready for the visit. Once you go to the link you will be placed into a virtual waiting room and Dr. Howard will be notified.
HOW WILL THE INFORMATION BE USED?
Telehealth is appropriate for many types of visits such as monitoring medications, renewals for medications, new non-emergent problems, mental health and management of your medical conditions. It is also a good alternative to urgent care clinics or emergency rooms for non-emergency situations.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
Here are a few of the key benefits of seeing Dr. Howard remotely.
- No transportation time or costs – When you see Dr. Howard on your mobile device or computer, you can save money on gas, parking, and public transportation.
- No need to take time off of work – You can schedule your appointment during a break, or before or after work. You can do the visit from anywhere that you feel offers you enough privacy. There’s no need to waste your precious paid time off.
- Eliminate child or elder care issues – If you have the responsibility for caring for children or older adults, finding someone to fill in can be a challenge, as can bringing them along. Telehealth lets you see your doctor while managing your family responsibilities.
- Less exposure to illness – We take great care to keep patients from passing illness to each other. With a video visit, there’s no chance that you’ll catch something from another patient.
- Improved health outcomes – We are able to see you as often as you need to put yourself on the path to better health.
IS TELEHEALTH ACCURATE?
Yes. However, not every medical situation is right for a video visit. Dr. Howard will determine if a Telehealth visit is appropriate or if you need to be seen in the office.
PRIVACY AND SECURITY
You may be concerned about the privacy and security of your confidential medical information. While today’s digital world offers a lot of convenience, there are risks. Dr. Howard uses a Telehealth solution designed specifically to protect your information and meet the strict standards of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, known as HIPAA for short.
At the present time, by executive order of the President, Telehealth is covered by insurance companies and Medicare. This may change in the future and if it does our office will inform of the changes.
We understand that trying out a new way to see your doctor can be a little scary. We’re talking about your health after all. What could be more important than that? This is the reason why Dr. Howard is using cutting edge technology to maintain communication with you and make sure you get the care that you need. We are here for you.
Please call us with any questions or concerns you have.
Office: (239) 331-2285